Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a neurological condition that’s characterized by an irresistible urge to move one’s legs. For people suffering with RLS, soaking in the hot tub can provide instant relief. Fair Oaks swim spa and hot tub dealer Blue Lagoon Spas explains more about this irritating condition and how the hot tub can help.
What is Restless Leg Syndrome?
Restless leg syndrome is a disorder of the nervous system that causes the urge to move the legs constantly. Since it typically interferes with sleep, it is also considered a sleep disorder. It’s an annoying and sometimes painful condition which can range from mild to intolerable in severity. Symptoms may come and go and are generally worse at night. This can cause sleep disruption and can impair one’s quality of life.
Symptoms of RLS include:
- Unusual itching, tingling or crawling sensations in the legs (it may sometimes occur in the arms as well)
- A strong urge to move the legs or arms to relieve these sensations
- Restlessness such as pacing, tossing and turning and rubbing the legs together
Treating RLS in the Hot Tub
There are various ways to treat restless leg syndrome, including the use of medication. There are also certain supplements that may be helpful including taking iron, magnesium, folic acid and B12. Keeping a good sleep routine is another way to help manage RLS symptoms.
If you have a hot tub, relief may be as close as your own back yard. Research has shown that hot water therapy can help soothe and relieve RLS symptoms rapidly. When used on a regular basis, it can even help improve your quality of sleep. Soaking for just 20 minutes a night can improve symptoms. Results can be enhanced with light stretching and exercises. Fair Oaks swim spa and hot tub dealer Blue Lagoon Spas suggests performing these easy exercises in your hot tub.
- Point and flex your toes, holding in each position for about 20 seconds.
- Pull your knee to your chest, giving the hamstring muscles a gentle stretch. Hold the stretch for 20 seconds and switch to the other leg.
- Stretch your calves by standing flat and then raising up to the balls of your feet. Repeat this several times.
The use of the hot tub also helps relieve stress and improve sleep, which are both major triggers of restless leg syndrome. The warm water and jets help you to relax and ease tension. The hot tub also helps improve circulation, which can soothe and loosen achy leg muscles. You can use the jets to massage tired, restless legs and relieve any pain or discomfort.
Contact your Local Fair Oaks Swim Spa and Hot Tub Dealer
If you or someone in your family struggles with restless leg syndrome, a hot tub provides all-natural relief. For more information on the benefits of having your own hot tub, visit Blue Lagoon Spas and Swim Spas. We’re located in historic Fair Oaks, California. Call us today at (916) 827-1772.